Thursday, September 29, 2016

Stitching George Washington

I am sure most of you are familiar with the painting of George Washington Crossing the Delaware, but if not, here it is.





A cross stitcher came up with the idea that this should be stitched in panels by a group of cross stitchers and so the journey began. She was able to acquire sponsors to help with the supplies to create such a large project. Wichelt has provided the fabric and Sullivans has provided the thread. While I have said it is a large project, it should really be classified as massive as there are 112 stitchers that will each stitch a panel over a five year period, and once finished, the panels will be sewn together to create the largest cross stitch project that has been produced, which will allow it to be put into the Guinness Book of World Records. Once completed, the piece is set to hang in a museum.

I first heard about this project when reading the blog of a new stitch friend about a year ago. So, I followed the link to the site for the project and while they had already signed up all the stitchers, you could sign up to be an alternate just in case someone dropped out. Within a few weeks, I was chosen as an alternate and I am thrilled to be able to be a small part of this project. Currently the individual panels are all kitted up and the mail out process has begun. I am waiting for mine but will post an update once I receive it. You can go check out the site for the project for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment